Sunday, October 23, 2005

Clever Retractable Razor



This travel blog is not about $400 sunglasses and it's not about what's travel gear is to keep you one fashionista step ahead of others vacationing in Aspen. This blog is for backpackers, vagabonds, and escape artists. It's for people who pack like there won't be a bellboy. Here's travel stuff that deserves to go along for the ride.

The tone is set for this blog by the very first entry. It's a humble item that costs less than $5. The real cost is probably a few pennies in a Chinese factory. But design matters and this design is a beauty. So simple, yet so effective. It's a retractable travel razor that twists into a little tube the only slightly larger than a tube of lip balm. Twist it out and it shaves your face (or legs) like any other twin-blade razor. But when you pack this little razor into your bag or backpack, it's taking up almost no space, there's no worries about cutting your finger when you reach in, and it weighs about as much as a pen.


It takes standard twin blades that you can buy in any old store around the world. It weighs next to nothing. It's cool, functional, light, and cheap. What more can you ask from a travel accessory?

Search for "Clever razor" at REI.com
[Editor's note - see the comments below on where to get one of these if it's not in stock at your favorite travel gear store]

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought one of these in 2005 I think from Campmor. They no longer sell these razors and they didn't have it on REI so where in the world can we get this razor. I need more! Everyone I know wants one like mine. Thanks for any info you can find.

Tim said...

I thought for sure I saw one in my local REI, but I'll dig around. I bought one in Mexico last year for 3 pesos--at the 3 peso store. That's 30 cents U.S., which shows that these puppies have a fat markup. Somebody has to be carrying them!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tim. I have been looking everywhere. I did contact someone awhile back but they were overseas. I wasn't sure about purchasing overseas...etc. I will look and see if I can find the email that I received from them. I believe it was the manufacturer located in china or somewhere. You certainly would think that USA would sell these somewhere, huh?

Tim said...

Found one here:
http://www.travelersshoppes.com/browseproducts/Baggallini-Travel-razor.html

I'd snag it--or two. It does seem to have disappeared from REI's online store anyway. Maybe the one I thought I saw at the physical store was leftover inventory. A shame--great item. I guess I should have bought a stash of them at that 3 peso store and resold them online!

Tim said...

Looks like the end of that link got cut off. It's www.travelersshoppes.com/browseproducts/ and then Baggallini-Travel-razor.html

Anonymous said...

Leave it to america! That is, if thats where Baggallini operates out of. Looks like they copied the design. This one looks like some sort of metal/chrome outside(?) How did you ever find them? Better buy a bunch of them now before they find out they stole a copyright! lol

Anonymous said...

Tim,
Got in the razors that I got from Travel Shoppe made by Baggellini. They seem to be exact duplicate of the Clever Razors. Silver and Black versus different colors and called the Twister Razor. It has TM on it. So I suppose there are numerous supply available. I bought about 6 of them. They are a bit more expensive than the other ones but worth it. Thanks for your help in finding them.
Mary

Allen said...

I chanced upon to view your blog and found it very interesting. Great ... Keep it up!

Tony said...

These are indeed clever. Even I have looked been looking to buy it and found it here

Twist Travel Razor

Tim said...

Come one come all. Any links to where these are still available are welcome!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure where mine came from but I've had it for about 12 years. I love that thing and thanks to you I have found it again. Yippee!

Anonymous said...

Great post, also found a nice one here

http://www.leatherbagsandmore.com/products/Twist-Travel-Razor.html

Anonymous said...

leatherbagsandmnore.com charged my VISA, claimed they shipped the product, made me wait around, then never delivered the product.

Do not use leatherbagsandmore.com

karen marie said...

My son who back packs a lot and he would love this. found brand new one in an unopened package for 99 cents at a thrift store lol

Anonymous said...

The name of this item is:
Clever Travel Razor.
I was looking for the replacement blades I found a website that carries them:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/CLEVER-Razor_215307700.html

I actually found them in a 99Cents store. Bought 2. Very happy but was in need of replacement blades. Uses: Slide on Tract II blades.
I have passed it on my carry on. Great for light traveling.

aaron butler said...

Razor is one of the important travel gear for men. So, you can't be drop it off when you are going to a journey.